Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Holga cultmember


My life is now complete. I can die happy. Today I made one of those rare purchases that brings a feeling of absolute happiness and euphoria: I actually found and purchased a HOLGA 120 CFN.

After researching Holgas for about a year, I stumbled upon it at Urban Outfitters! I went in to purchase a fish-eye lens camera for tomorrow's Amsterdam trip but spotted Holgas hiding in the back!

You have no idea how happy I am right now. I grabbed some 400 ISO black and white film for Amsterdam. I was so excited, I actually hopped up and down after I paid for it.

And I just recently was mulling over taking up an expensive hobby. Looks like I found one!

Here's a sample of a Holga pic:



Note the "vignetting" effect and dramatic, grainy delicious center. And each Holga is pretty much different from others: some do really brilliant colors, others let light seep in (or you can gently wobble the exposed film afterward for the same effect). I can't wait to get to know my Holga. I can't wait to trick it out. It's the ultimate DIY camera!

No comments: